Long Island City High School’s Mathematics Curriculum is aligned to the Common Core Learning Standards. The Common Core standards were developed by educators and other experts based on research and lessons learned from top-performing countries. The standards describe the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in a rapidly changing world, including the ability to think creatively, solve real-world problems, make effective arguments, and engage in debates. More information about the Common Core Learning Standards can be found at Engage NY: Parent and Family Resources
Mathematics Common Core Courses
• Algebra I
• Algebra II• Pre-Calculus
Mathematics Advanced Placement Courses
• Advanced Placement Statistics
• Advanced Placement Computer Science
• Advanced Placement Calculus AB• Advanced Placement Calculus BC
Mathematics Department Expectations
• Students will be able to master the following mathematical practices:
1) Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2) Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3) Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4) Model with mathematics.
5) Use appropriate tools strategically.
6) Attend to precision.
7) Look for and make use of structure.
8) Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.• Students will complete four years of mathematics instruction including one Advanced Placement
• Students will score 80 or above on the Algebra I Regents Examination.
• Students will earn an Advanced Regents Diploma by passing all three Regents Examinations.
• Students will attend tutoring to support their learning of new content.