How To Transfer Tax Data Into Your FAFSA Form
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Electronically Transfers Your Federal Tax Return Information Into Your FAFSA Form.
- EASY: Transfer info with the click of a button.
- FAST: Instantly retrieve your information.
- ACCURATE: Correctly fill in your information.
1. Log in to your current FAFSA form or start a new application at fafsa.gov.
2. In the finances section of the online form, you will see a “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
3. Click the “Link to IRS” button and log in with your FSA ID to be transferred to the IRS to retrieve your info.
4. Once at the IRS site, enter your information exactly as it appears on your federal income tax return and click the “Submit” button.
5. Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA form” box, and click the “Transfer Now” button.
6. You will know that your federal tax return information has been successfully transferred because the words “Transferred from the IRS” will display in place of the IRS information in your FAFSA form.
For your protection, your tax information will not be displayed on either the IRS site or fafsa.gov.
The IRS DRT can be used by both students and parents. To learn more about the IRS DRT, visit StudentAid.gov/irsdrt.
Federal Student Aid
An Office of the U.S. Department of Education
Proud Sponsor of the American Mind®